Al Salamu 'Alaykum.
Sayyiduna 'Ali(ra) was asked as to what is 'taubah' and he replied that it consists of six elements:
1. To regret one's past evil deeds.
2. To carry out divine duties that were missed.
3. To restore the rights that were usurped.
4. To ask forgiveness of a person who has been wronged by him physically or verbally.
5. To make a firm resolve of avoiding that sin in future.
6. To consume one's self in obedience of Allah as one thus far consumed one's self in his disobedience.
(Taken from the tafsir of Surah at-Tahreem in Ma'arif al Qur'an of Mufti Shafi' Deobandi with reference to Tafsir Mazhari)